Monday 30 July 2007

Re: Introduction to Social Sciences: Invitation to Contribute a Chapter

BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE

Re: Introduction to Social Sciences: Invitation to Contribute a Chapter

The letter on the above was seen in my mail box on Wednesday 7th June, 2007. It is an invitation to me to contribute a chapter on “Epistemology and Ontology” on a book project by the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences. As I have read from the letter sent to me the object of the book “is aimed at presenting simple and easy to grasp chapters that would help fresh undergraduate students have strong foundation and grounding in social sciences”. Fine. This is what we would be doing to promote the weak background of our students in various Departments to the other areas and development in social science disciplines.

Meanwhile, I have noted that it is going to be introductory reading. That is why the title of the book will be “Introduction to Social Sciences”. I hope in the final analysis it is not going to be beyond introductory reading. This may be because the outline contains so many things as:
1. Methods of social research
2. Philosophy of social research
3. Theories and models in social sciences
4. Development of various disciplines in social sciences
5. Career opportunities in social sciences

I have no doubt that this is a great and thoughtful initiative which the office of the Dean of the Faculty has now set rolling. I will continue to praise this effort. Nevertheless, from now to mid-July I have fixed myself for so many things to be able to give time to this project.

However, I want make some observations on the topic given to me i.e. “epistemology and Ontology”. As far as my knowledge of social and management sciences teaching and research programmes in Bayero University, Kano, this topic of a kind of philosophical probing of social sciences disciplines is very important. Secondly, our social research methods programmes in SMS, especially in Department of political science has since I know it neglected the philosophy of social research. Thirdly, by introducing this to our fresh undergraduates we would be producing critical minds instead of robots.

Quite clearly epistemological and ontological issues are not unconnected. They are all dealing with relationship between philosophy and social sciences as a whole and indeed each discipline of social sciences has its specific relationship with philosophy.

The relationship between philosophy and social sciences was developed in the knowledge industry centuries ago. In deed, it has been dominant in western philosophies. Which means our teaching programmes in ‘classical political, sociological, etc. Thought’ must be in full picture of the relationship. This does not mean that we would forget the new changes social sciences disciplines have gone as a result of globalisation which has produced another revolution in the structure of knowledge. In political science, which I know, these changes are profound. To the extent that I may not be surprised if in the current waves carrying the science, it may not disappear. Then what would be the relationship between philosophy and these changing social sciences.

Finally, in view of what I have said above and that the intention of the book project is “presenting simple and easy to grasp chapters”, I want suggest to the coordinator to reconsider changing the title from “epistemology and ontology” to something like “The relationship between philosophy and social sciences” or as I have observed that you wanted to be specific to social research, so the title may read “philosophy of social research”. I think either of these may give the writer clearer perspectives.

M.M. Yusif
June 7th, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.