Monday 1 November 2010

Re: Teaching Responsibility

28th October, 2004


 

The Head,

Department of Political Science,            

Bayero University,

Kano.


 

Dear Sir,

Re: Teaching Responsibility

It is necessary to make a formal submission in this form so that in future the Departmental Board (which statutorily comprised of all Academic Staff in the Department) is not regarded like a gathering of gossip making and jokes.

It happened yesterday, when in a moment of personal discussion among colleagues a decision on assignment of teaching responsibilities was changed without recourse and respect to the institution under which the divisions of the responsibilities were made. This is the case of teaching of an MPPA course – industrial Relation.


 

If I had known that was the issue of the discussion between Dr. Jalingo and Dr. Kamilu I would not had joined them to say hello to my respected colleagues. But as soon as I greeted them I found that they, with the Acting Head of Departmant had already taken a decision to reverse the decision taken collectively in a Departmental meeting.


 

Indeed, I unreservedly poured out my feelings and anger in the presence of Dr. Kamilu and later Dr. Salihi. So, I have put it behind me. It is not a surprise for me. I know it would happen.

However, the position does not seem good for institutional building in a democracy and for healthy academic pursuits. Imagine the most senior colleague in the Department would rise to frenzy because the course he has been teaching since the MPPA Programme was introduced is assigned to his former student. I think my respected teacher wanted to emulate those aged British professors who retain their teaching disciplines for life. My respected teacher must not ignore the reality that the University system in Britain is no the same with the system in Nigeria. While in Britain he could be a chair at this age but in Nigeria still he is not. Secondly, in Britain the ambition and the respect of those professors have always been that there are their students or former students who can be called to take their courses. Not that when they are looking tied or are away for most of the teaching period there is nobody who would take their responsibilities.


 

It is because my respected teacher does not give himself time to think about the attitude of those British Professors so that he can be like that in 1989 when I made a submission to the Department on "Labour Studies programme", that even though he was the head of Department, but it was left to die a natural death. Notwithstanding, I want my respected teacher to know that I am the one who first introduced Labour and Politics Study in this Department as a Special Topic before it came a regular course. Even the course on Industrial Relations in the MPPA Programme I proposed the content and the Department wanted me to handle it but I personally declined for my teacher to teach the course.


 

I have sent this note to you not because I am angry but to inform you and give you another dimension and manifestation of the crisis today in the University System. Which you could within your own power and limits inspire of everything do something to salvage the system.

M. M. Yusif.

cc:    Dr. Ahmadu Usman Jalingo

    Dr. Haruna Salihi

    Dr. Kamilu Sani Fagge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.